Monday, July 4, 2011

painting: bee on Spanish lavender

honeybee on spanish lavender  SOLD
Four of the first bee paintings I did this spring were of bees on Spanish lavender (aka lavandula stoechas). Our plants were constantly covered in bees while they were in bloom in April. I call Spanish lavender the 'one with the rabbit ears'-- referring to the violet petals at the top-- which distinguish it from the more commonly known English lavender.  Whichever kind-- bees seem to be uniformly enthusiastic about lavenders.

We're lucky to live in the Mediterranean climate where these fragrant plants thrive. One place nearby where I love to visit in true peak lavender season, which seems to be right about NOW (I think it's a little late this year due to a prolonged rainy season) is the Matanzas Creek Winery in Santa Rosa. I've posted pictures of the gardens there almost every time I've visited, over on my Garden Blog, in 2007, 2008, & 2010.  Definitely worth a visit for lovers of bees, gardens-- oh, and of course wine...
at Matanzas Creek
bees on Spanish lavender

No comments:

Post a Comment